A new special tax incentive regime has been implemented to attract talents and promote research and innovation in Portugal.
Who may apply
This regime is applicable to taxpayers who fulfil three essential conditions:
- They become tax residents in Portugal,
- They have not been resident for the previous five years, and
- They earn income in certain professional categories.
Eligible professional careers include
- Higher education teachers and researchers integrated into the national science and technology system, as well as professionals in recognized technology and innovation centers;
- It also includes qualified jobs and members of governing bodies in organizations benefiting from tax incentives for productive investment;
- Highly qualified professions in the areas of finance and economics;
- Professionals in companies with a history of investment tax support and in industrial and service companies that export significantly;
- Qualified jobs and members of governing bodies in entities recognized by AICEP, EPE, or IAPMEI, IP, as relevant to the national economy, and
- Research and development jobs, especially for doctoral graduates whose costs are eligible for the Research and Business Development Tax Incentive Scheme (SIFIDE), and
- Jobs and members of governing bodies in entities certified as start-ups, under the terms of Law no. 21/2023 of 25 May.
- Special rate of 20% applied to income from work
- Exemption on foreign source income, except pensions
- This special regime will be available for a period of 10 consecutive years, if taxpayers remain tax residents in Portugal and continue to earn income from eligible activities
This new regime represents a significant step in Portugal’s strategy to stimulate innovation and scientific research, attracting international talents, and strengthening the economy through a more favorable tax approach.